In our series of organization design videos, we present you real org design issues and real solutions that we encounter and solve over our 27 years in business completing over 400+ redesigns globally across many industries. In this video, we focus on the shortcomings of “clarifying roles & responsibilities” – a mantra repeated daily in businesses around the globe.
Clarifying Roles & Responsibilities
- People complaining that others don’t know what they are doing
Tradition Ineffective Fixes (Road to Nowhere)
- Update RACI’s (Responsibilities, Accountabilities)
- Tell people what to do
- Train people
- Fragmented work; not joined up
- Insufficient glue usually in the form of info sharing
- Unstandardized work
Effective Solution to Higher Performance
- Bring cross-boundary teams together
- Illustrate the end-2-end work
- Using real work examples, identify where pass-offs exist and work breaks down
- Add work or standardize upstream and downstream work
- Insert strong glue as the work is interdependent at pass-offs
- Clarify decision-making authority (51% / 49%)
To learn more about clarifying roles & responsibilities — and how to best approach your business transformation — please contact ON THE MARK.
Stay tuned for more in our organization design video series — and be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel!
On The Mark’s experience and passion for collaborative business transformation that’s supported by pragmatism, systems thinking, and a belief in people is unparalleled. OTM has been in business for 27 years and is a global leader in organization design consulting.
We understand that you may want more information on how OTM works with clients, our terms and further information from our extensive case-study library. Contact us about careers, more information or how we work here.